Monday, October 20, 2014

You may forget your past but it won’t


There were three missed calls from the same number on my mobile; it was from a land-line number from Mumbai but since I was busy in my official work I could not attend to it.  After reaching home, when I wanted to call back, it was already half past nine p.m. so I dropped the idea.

The next day morning, on my way to office, I got the call from the same number again. I took the call; a soft female voice answered from the other side.  She first confirmed my name and later asked my permission to discuss about an excellent career opportunity in one of her reputed client’s organization. I interrupted her and said: “I am not interested in any such offer” but before I could disconnect, she pleaded not to and requested me to give her few more minutes to complete her message.         

She first thanked me and started narrating me about her client, job profile, emoluments, position, posting and at the end she started requesting me to speak with the HEAD-HR of her client’s organization once before taking a final decision. I told her upfront that I am not interested to talk to anyone at the moment. Neither was I having the inclination nor interest to change my job. I was quite happy with my present profile and had no valid reason to even think of changing the job. I was having a busy day ahead and I couldn’t afford to waste a single minute on irrelevant matter. Therefore, I disconnected the phone after assuring her that I would speak with her client later.

After reaching my office I forgot everything and got involved in the office work without any problem. Finally, I closed my laptop and called it a day. I left the office by late evening. While going back home in my car I got another call from the same consultant again and this time she informed me that her client would call me now and that I should accept the call; before I could confront her, she disconnected the phone by saying good night.

Exactly after five minutes, I got a call from an unknown number on my mobile and this time it was from one gentleman who introduced himself as the HEAD-HR of a very respected and reputed engineering company of Kolkata. He very politely told me the objective of his call and took my permission to continue the conversation. First, he spoke in detail about the HR policy of his Company and later inquired about CTC, notice period and my family members.

Thereafter, he spoke to me about the initial offer, which he had already sent by email to me, for my approval and on receipt of my confirmation he will send me the final offer by courier.  He discussed in detail about the proposal: they had offered me the post of the CEO at their Kolkata Head Quarter with fully furnished company accommodation, chauffeur-driven car, fantastic salary with equity participation. I listen to him uninterruptedly and at the end I very politely turned down his good offer. He was not perturbed with my response instead he requested me to think on his proposal saying that he would call me back after 48 hours.               

To be honest, on the face of it, I was trying to calm down myself but the offer had disturbed me internally and I almost lost peace of my mind.  After dinner, I straightaway went to my bedroom. But in-spite of my best efforts I could not sleep and the whole night I was thinking about the offer and with great difficulty I could manage some sleep only in the early morning hours.

The next day, first time in years I reached office late. But there also I could not work sincerely. Therefore, I decided to take casual-leave for the day and I left office in a hurry. Such things had never happened in my life before, although I got several offers in the past but I had never got indulged so much into it. Such offers came and gone and slowly I forgot about them. 

But this time, the Kolkata offer was haunting me and I was not getting enough inner strength to straight-away turn it down. The offer was not only lucrative but also very rich in nature from all aspects/angels. To be honest, I had never come across such a fantastic offer in my life ever; and with every passing minute, it was pushing me little closer to the said offer. I was divided into two parts, my mind and heart both were speaking in different languages and I was standing at the center totally confused and uncertain not  knowing which side I should put my foot forward. I was also finding it very difficult to concentrate on my existing job. Although we just had a talk on the phone; so far no personal interview, no written confirmation given but still the verbal communication had influenced my mind,  body and soul so much that it had very severely affected my own performance at my present job.       

At present I was working in an MNC with much respected job profile and decent pay packet. Fully satisfied with my Company, clients and colleagues and I have never thought of leaving this job but suddenly everything was trying to go haywire and whatever had happened in the past 24 hours had practically ruined my peace of mind, present position and literally forced me to think otherwise. I always used to advice my colleagues and friends not to change the job often and stick to one company and build the career there but then why I was not following the same rule for my-self now?

I came home early that day and the first reaction of my wife was: “What happened, how come you are back home so early from office, are you alright?” And before listening to my answers she touched my forehead and later rushed to the kitchen and brought me a glass of water. I could see her worried and disturbed face. Suddenly she asked me bluntly a straight forward question: “Have you resigned?” After drinking a glass of water with very heavy heart I said: “No”     

I could see her tense face relaxed and she sat down on the sofa with a sad face. I also sat next to her and after a long pause I told her about the last day’s phone calls and the job offer of a Kolkata based company. My wife also became tense after listening to my conversation. I could see her anxiety and her eyes filled with tears. She simply told me to quickly take a final decision and close the subject tonight itself. I tried to calm her down and explained to her in few selective words that I would not accept Kolkata offer.

The next morning I got up early from the bed and left home for office before the schedule time so that I could reach office on time. I tried to concentrate on my work and pretended to myself and my staff that nothing had happened and my life was running as usual-normal, no problem at all. But deep down in my heart the job offer made a very strong dent which was not so easy to erase. By the time I left office for home, I got a call again from Kolkata.

I kept my mobile on silence mode and did not answer any of the calls. He called me only once and later sent me an SMS to attend an interview on video conferencing with the MD of his company tonight at 9-PM, I wanted to say no but could not do so. I kept thinking about the job offer seriously on my way back home.

After reaching home, I sat-down on the study table while sipping tea, I started noting down few questions which I should ask the MD on Video conferencing. Five minutes to nine I again got a call from Kolkata to be ready with my laptop-on so that the MD sir could have one to one conversation with me.

Sharp at nine, the MD sir was on my laptop screen. To my utmost surprise the conversation of our proposed meeting started in Bengali language and it continued for thirty minutes to be precise. He was very straight forward in his approach and wanted to convince me by all means so that I can accept their job-offer without any hitch or hesitation. Meanwhile, he answered all my questions and told me to send an email on his personal email ID if I still had any more doubts or queries about his company, people, product, pay-packet or future plans.

This was the third night and I could not sleep properly. I tried to analyze the whole situation from beginning to the end and with lots of courage and conviction I wrote an e-mail addressed to the MD sir wherein first I thanked him for his offer and at the end submitted my sincere apology for not being able to accept his job-offer. At 4-AM in the morning I sent this email and went to sleep.

A week had passed since I sent the regret e-mail to MD sir; I simply got a confirmation note, Thereafter, no calls from their end. I took a deep breath and offered prayers to God Almighty for saving me from lots of embarrassment from my family and friends. Suddenly in third week, again I got a call from Kolkata office that their Chairperson would like to meet me in Delhi tomorrow any time between 10 AM and 5-PM. I was asked to confirm the timing of our proposed meeting by night over SMS on particular mobile number which was sent through SMS on my mobile.

I again became disturbed with that one call. I was literally getting scared of meeting anymore person from Kolkata. Therefore, I again sent my apology for not being able to meet with the chairperson the next day. Within two minutes I got the reply asking about my convenient date/time. My reply was same, not interested in the job hence I see no point meeting in-person. I got the reply instantly saying: “No harm in meeting” I kept quiet for few minutes, again another SMS came which read: “Date/time/venue you decide, but please come for the meeting”

I was left with no option but to forget about the whole episode as a bad dream and without confirmation I went to sleep. Next morning I got another SMS saying: “Please don’t be so angry, give confirmation” Finally I decided to meet with the Chairperson on the coming weekend and confirmed the date/time/location of our proposed meeting accordingly.

As agreed, I proceeded to meet with the chairperson at the most reputed five star hotel of Gurgaon. As soon as I reached the reception of the hotel, a staff accompanied me to the 9th floor of the hotel and took me to Room 901.

There was nobody in the room but the laptop was open, one Executive Diary, Executive Planner and a Cross gold ball pen were lying on the study table. Few famous business magazines and news papers were also lying on the side table. One Bengali fiction was kept near the bedside table. Small soft luggage was kept at the corner and the lady’s purse and I-phone were also lying on the bed.

By the time I settle-down on my chair and I saw, the washroom door opened and a very young and beautiful lady coming out of the washroom. She straightaway came near my chair introduced herself as Ms. Debyani Chakraborty and offered her right hand for a handshake but somehow I could not muster courage to extend my hand instead offered greetings by folding both my hands and she followed suit. She inquired about tea/coffee and I said: “Tea” She moved towards side table where electric cattle, cups, tea bags, coffee, milk powder and sugar pouches were kept. She inquired about sugar, and I said no sugar. She came towards my chair carrying two cups in her hands and offered me my cup of hot tea without sugar.

Over a cup of tea we talked about Kolkata weather, political environment and business scenario. And with little hesitation, I asked the objective and agenda of this meeting. She first laughed and later became serious and said, she wanted to know the reason of my denial for accepting the job-offer of her company.

After listening her for half an hour I proposed several names of some young professionals who could be ideal for her company. But she did not show any interest in my suggestions instead she requested me to reconsider her offer and suddenly I saw her moisture filled eyes but very smartly she wiped her eyes with handkerchief and gave a broad smile. Later she told me to look at her laptop screen displaying the photograph of an old couple.     

It was the photograph of her parents Mrs. and Mr. Sukumar Chakraborty who died last year in a road accident while coming from Malda, their home town. Since then she took over the reigns of her company as a chairperson and her maternal uncle (Brother of her late mother) is working as MD. She was looking for a highly experienced professional between the age group of 45 to 50; who could take over as a Business Head/CEO of her company and run the show independently. 

She had interviewed many candidates in the past but could not find any suitable candidate. Later her consultant from Mumbai had recommended my candidature and after thorough check/verification they shortlisted my name and the rest is history. I was still not very happy with the last meeting and the whole episode was not at all convincing to me and somehow I was not getting the right answers of my questions: WHY ME? After an hour or so I took her leave and promised her that I would reconsider my decision of joining her company.

While driving back home, suddenly I remembered about my friend Ms. Sumita Mukherjee who was my childhood friend in Kolkata. She belonged to a very rich business family of south Kolkata. Today I met the daughter of my very dear friend who died in a road accident. Probably, her daughter knew about our relationship or it could be a sheer coincidence also. I last met her mother when she got married and thereafter I shifted to Jamshedpur. And today after 27 long years my past was in front of me as if it were only yesterday.  We may forget our past but it never leaves us-come what may. I folded both my hands in the air and offered prayers to the God Almighty for Mrs. and Mr. S. K. Chakraborty. May their souls rest in peace, Amen!

With Prayers
Gurcharan
















No comments:

Post a Comment